This post is also available in: Korean
Justice for North Korea is a relatively small, all-volunteer group.
Those with special skills such as performers, translators, and graphic designers are in high demand, but the rest of us are warmly welcomed, too — somebody’s got to hand out fliers, update Facebook, research issues, take and upload photos, do data entry, etc.
Come out to a few events, introduce yourself, and see where you might fit in. One tip on getting involved: the more you put into it, the more you get out of it!
Tap Your Creative or Technical Side
- Performers, Writers, Artists – One of the best ways to reach people is through culture and the arts. We need performers for our street campaigns and benefit concerts. We need musicians, singers, skit writers, actors, dancers, etc.
- Graphic Design – Whether it’s for fliers, brochures, posters, or the web, this is often a need.
Translating and Interpretation
We often need Korean to English translation and sometimes English to Korean. Also, if you are a native speaker of another language, we would love it if you could translate some basic information about North Korean human rights into your language, if we haven’t already. Also, we occasionally need interpreters at events.
We firmly believe the North Korean human rights crisis is a problem that concerns all of humanity, not just the Korean peninsula or East Asia. You can get involved by helping us research, write, and organize letter campaigns, petitions, etc. We also need help networking with like-minded groups and activists in other countries.
Organize events like documentary screenings, speeches by defectors and activists, benefit concerts, etc. Your role could be inviting us to speak at your school, church, or group, or coordinating things on behalf of JFNK.
The hardest part of holding an event is usually securing a good venue. Please contact us if you know a good place we could hold an event. The ideal venue is:
- close to a subway and easy to give directions to
- free or very cheap
- the size depends on the event, but we generally need space for seminars of 15-30 people and screenings / speaker events for dozens to a few hundred
“I think that the statement that you guys are making on the streets can awaken many people to the harsh reality to what is really happening in North Korea. And when people are moved, some are evoked to do something about it.”
– Sarah, who emailed us on July 5, 2010, after seeing our campaign in Gangnam
1) Once a month, JFNK holds a street campaign in downtown Seoul. These usually last for two hours. For up-to-date information on the times and locations of our street campaigns, please visit our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Unlike with some of our other activities, participating as a volunteer for the street campaign requires little training or special skills and no additional time commitment; you can just show up as little or as often as you want. You can help hand out fliers and, if you want, talk to people about why the human rights of North Koreans matter.
2) While we are still doing our monthly street campaigns in downtown Seoul, we also want to create smaller, more mobile teams that can perform at university campuses, so that we can reach a younger audience. If this is of interest to you, please let us know.
Volunteer Information Form
If you would like to be added to our database of volunteers, please copy and paste the following form into an email, complete it, and send it to the address found on our contact page. Thank you.
Justice for North Korea
Date of Birth:
Location in Korea:
__ Seoul – indicate area (e.g., Sinchon):
Organization you work for / university you attend:
Languages (including proficiency):
When do you plan on leaving Korea?
Average hours per week available to volunteer:
Please write a brief self-introduction (a few sentences is sufficient):
How did you become interested in North Korean Human Rights?
How did you first hear about JFNK?
Other comments or relevant experience:
Areas of Expertise / Interest (mark with an X; bold = areas where help is most needed; please elaborate or make comments as needed)
__ Playing an Instrument, Vocals
__ Film Making / Videos for Youtube
__ Journalism / Writing
__ Event Organizing (documentary screenings, presentations, concerts, etc.)
__ Fundraising: previous experience preferred, but not necessary.
__ Grant writing
__ Interpreting – Languages you can interpret:
__ IT / Web development: knowledge of WordPress and web maintenance preferred.
__ Graphic design
__ Public Relations / Marketing / Promoting
__ Translating (Korean to English)
__ Translating (English to Korean)
__ Translating other languages – Languages you can translate:
Which department(s) of JFNK would you want to be part of?
__ General Administration
__ International Campaign (letter writing, petitioning governments)
__ Street Campaign (performing, speaking, handing out fliers)
__ Website Development